From September through till April each year, we open our farm up to enthusiastic folks who want to learn about permaculture and regenerative agriculture. Shortly we will announce a calendar with dates for future Wwoofing intakes and related projects. We won't be taking any more wwoofers till September 2013
Wwoofing at Milkwood Farm
WWOOfing is a way of volunteering on an organic farm in exchange for experience, knowledge and board. At Milkwood Farm, our woofers work with our on-farm crew to achieve whatever needs to be done on the Farm that week.
Wwoofer requirements for Mikwood Farm are:
- Minimum stay 2 weeks.
- Good working understanding of Permaculture ethics and principles, and preferably holding a Permaculture Design Certificate
- approximately 8 hours work per day, 5 days per week.
- An excellent work ethic and a happy soul.
- Registered with Wwoof Australia.
Please read the below expectations carefully. We strive to be clear with potential wwoofers so you know what the expectations of our farm are:
- Milkwood Farm is a dry zone on all evenings except friday/saturday evenings (i.e. evenings before your days off). Nightly consumption of alcohol will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. This is for the physical and mental health and safety of all farm crew, including you.
- We work hard! You will be up at dawn and working till dusk on some days if the task requires it. There are days when you will definitely get hot, cold, wet and dirty (sometimes all at once). Please expect this and re-consider applying if hard work (or starting early) is not your thing.
- As a Milkwood wwoofer, your contribution will be valued highly, and you will eat and sleep well.
Current on-farm projects include:
- Forest Garden Systems
- Organic Market Garden
- Organic Kitchen Garden
- Natural Building
- Establishing + maintaining animal systems
- Courses and Workshops
- Riparian Restoration
The work you will do as a wwoofer at Milkwood Farm is varied and strenuous, and not suitable for anyone with major physical limitations. At Milkwood, we are all committed to creating a functional, happy, multi-enterprise, best practice, viable Permaculture farm and education center.
About attending courses: If you particularly want to do a specific course while at Milkwood Farm, please book in as a student as this is the best way to ensure your place. During courses wwoofers participate in the course co-ordination on a rotational basis.
Food: We provide full catering, 7 days a week (with organic produce from the farm wherever possible) for all wwoofers with diets of omnivore and vegetarian. If you happen to be here during our cook's holiday or days off, you will be part of the cooking roster, with all ingredients provided.
If you have dietary requirements beyond omnivore and vegetarian, you will need to bring your own food to supplement. We are happy to supply you with your own outdoor cooking station if you have medical food allergies.
Accommodation: is in our camping area (BYO camping gear). For more details on Milkwood Farm's facilities and our farm policy, see our Staying at Milkwood page.
Getting to Milkwood: If you have your own vehicle, you can plan to arrive any day of the week. If you require a pickup from Mudgee Town (45 minutes drive from Milkwood Farm), we can pick you up at 4pm on a TUESDAY. Pickups on other days may or may not be possible, so please plan for Tuesday.
Planning your time at Milkwood: we have a lot of wwoofer requests, but only limited spaces. We encourage applicants to plan ahead and also to add any references of recommendations you might have acquired from like-minded farms, institutes etc, as this will help your application.
For an overview of what we're doing at the Farm at the moment, please see The Milkwood Blog.
Shortly we will announce a calendar with dates for future Wwoofing intakes and related projects. We will not be taking any more wwoofers until September 2013.
>> Sound good? Hooray! Please contact us to apply.
Please ensure you read our Farm Policy before applying.
Thanks a lot! We're happy to welcome dedicated folks serious about making a better world. We look forward to meeting you.
If you're interested in our internships, please see here...